Download ISU Police Crime Prevention and Safety Brochure
Contact the ISU Police by calling our dispatch center at (309) 438-8631 (on-campus dial 8-8631).
You can also get more information from ISU's Safety & Security website.
Basic Safety Guidelines
- Avoid walking alone at night and try to keep on main pathways and illuminated areas.
- Be alert to your surroundings.
- Do not prop doors open.
- Deny strangers from entering residence halls.
- Lock your dorm, office, and vehicle when you leave.
- Identify the person knocking before you open the door.
- Be careful when sharing information online.
- Be smart about alcohol and drugs.
Recognizing Suspicious Behavior
Preventing violence starts with identifying symptoms of violence. Recognize the following symptoms of aggression or violence:
- Participating in surveillance activities.
- Taking inappropriate photos or videos.
- Using binoculars or night-vision devices.
- Acting furtively and suspiciously and trying not to be noticed.
- Departing quickly when seen or approached.
- Being in places where he/she doesn't seem to belong.
- Strong odor coming from a building or vehicle.
- Overloaded vehicle or vehicle in an unexpected location.
- Fluid other than gas leaking from a vehicle.
- Being overdressed for the weather.
Crime Prevention Programs
The ISU Police Department (ISUPD) offers the following programs upon request:
Bird Watch (Neighborhood Watch program for campus)
- Campus Violence: Prevention and Preparation
- Identity Theft: How to Protect Yourself
- Common Sense Self Defense
- Theft Prevention
- Operation Identification
Rape Aggression Defense (RAD)
- Play it Safe (20 minute program for children from kindergarten through fourth grade)
- Substance Abuse Prevention
- Drug Abuse and Misuse
- The Law and You (Sponsored by AllState)